Saturday, March 17, 2012

a rose by any other taste

Nearly three weeks after my early return from Seattle, we've finally finished eating the small canister of rose-flavored Turkish Delight that I bought at Pike Place, and which caused me to decide to check my bag on the return flight because I had no idea what the TSA scanners would think of an unlabeled tub of flour-dusted jellies. (Which was worth it for the hassle-saving anyway, as I was flying a putt-putt to Portland and changing planes there.)

Turkish Delight is not a well-known sweet in the U.S., and is familiar mostly from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, where the White Witch tempts Edmund, who has a passionate greed for the stuff, with it. For some unfathomable reason this scene has caused most every CSL fan I know to become obsessed with the topic of Turkish Delight. I find this almost as baffling as Tolkien fans who inscribe "Ash nazg durbatulûk" on their rings. If you believe Lewis, leave the stuff alone! Can't you see it's dangerously seductive?

We, however, are not as easily seduced as Edmund, and had no problem paying homage to our diets by restricting ourselves to one piece, daily after dinner, apiece.

After three weeks, Turkish Delight gets slightly crusty. I actually like it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment